A Little Store & Family History
W. S. Broom & Co. was established on May 13th, 1885 when brothers John (J.E.) & Warren (W.S.) Broom opened the J.E. Broom Outfitting Company in downtown Effingham, Illinois. In those days, furniture was just a part of the merchandise offered at the Broom Boys’ Store. The list of goods for sale included sewing machines, baby carriages, hammocks, croquet sets, and carpet sweepers.
In 1893, Warren and a silent partner bought his brother’s share of the business and renamed the store W.S. Broom & Co.
In 1928, Warren Broom purchased his silent partner’s stock. Warren’s son, William L. Broom, Sr., became the store’s manager that same year. Bill’s wife Winifred served as the store bookkeeper.
Bill and Winifred’s sons William Broom, Jr. who was born in 1925 and James David who was born in 1934 literally grew up in the family business.
In 1994, Jim’s daughter Jamie and her husband Jim joined the family business. They are now the fourth generation to own and operate W.S. Broom & Co. Their son, Ethan, has recently become the fifth generation member of Broom’s Furniture.
Over the years, W.S. Broom has continued to expand to its’ current size of 40,000 square feet. The store is located near its’ original site in downtown Effingham.